Thursday, October 28, 2010

Reflections on Voting

For me voting is an honor.  I think about all my female ancestors who never were allowed to vote and I feel humbled that I have been entrusted with that right.  I think about all the women in third world countries whose voices are suppressed everyday because they are not afforded the opportunity to vote.  I think about my sons and the example I want to set for them, the example I want them to look for in a partner. 
And lastly, I think about myself.  My beliefs, my values, my intellect all are voiced and enacted by filling out a single form once a year.  It is the one time in my life when I can shout out with the loudest voice that I matter, that I inspire and I can do it without saying a word.
I vote in every election because I can.  Next Tuesday millions of Americans will be showing their respect and honor for our country and the millions of men and women who have died to give us all this honor.  Millions of Americans already have already taken their place in history by voicing their opinion of the way they want their government to run. 
To be sure, this election is not an easy one.  Because of the ruling by the Supreme Court earlier this year in the Citizens United decision, our entire system of democracy is threatened by PAC ad that have very little to do with informing us about what's best for us, but rather, fooling us into voting for what's best for them.  That means that every one of us have a duty to inform ourselves about the candidates and the issues.  Nothing and no one on the ballot is too small to be ignored this year.
I realize that what I'm asking is not easy or pleasant for most people.  We work hard all day long and at the end of the day, we really don't want to have to do RESEARCH on  what's really true and who's really best.  What I suggest is that you get some of your friends together that live near you and divide the candidates and initiatives up and each research a few.  Then get together to discuss and make your decision.  If you don't have any friends, call the local headquarters of all political parties and ask for their recommendations.  Be sure to ask WHY they recommend a certain person or initiative.  They will gladly give you reasons why.
If enough of us do this and commit to doing it year after year, then we the people can render the Citizens United case irrelevant.  If we can unseat a very strong incumbent who has spent millions on his/her campaign (personally I hope it will be Darrell Issa) then we can send a message that will ring out all over the country that our votes cannot be bought.  That our elected representatives need to do more to start representing us and not their parties or their donors.  We can preserve the America that so many have fought and died for.  An America that we can be proud to leave for our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully put, Rena. We should all take voting as seriously as we can, since moving the country in the right direction (whichever direction one believes is right--I have my own views on that) is serious business. Voting out of anger or kneejerk reaction is never a good idea, but informed, considered decision making always is.

    ReplyDelete